Note

This blog has moved to http://street-level.mcvmcv.net!

"Good things happen when you put the ball in play"

My dad always used to say this about hitting. This was most true when I was in Little League: the 11-year-old fielders were unreliable, so if you could avoid striking out there was always a realistic chance that a "good thing" would happen.

(I apologize if this is not obvious to some of my audience. I'm talking about baseball! I'd also like to make it clear that my dad was not an 'overbearing American sports father,' I'm grateful for the fact that he never yelled at me from the stands like other parents did.)

Maybe the same is true of photography. Instead of 'put the ball in play,' it's 'click the shutter.' I went through almost a whole roll of Golden Half pictures at the recent King Khan show here in San Francisco, and I was surprised to find a couple of pictures that I thought were not "half" bad, if nowhere near great.





In baseball, having a good eye means being able to lay off pitches out of the strike zone. In photography, is it just knowing how to throw out all your crap?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

dont show the bad ones!

Dan said...

no doubt!! thanks

elastichica said...

loved this post. great photos.., wouldn't "good eye" also be knowing when to push the button?
I guess but even great photographers best shots are often fortuitous.

Dan said...

oh yeah, knowing when to release the shutter is important too. i guess you could say there are two acts of seeing. the first time should be inclusive/conditional (this could be worth exposing) while the second time should be exclusive/definite (this did not come out well).

saludos

Pulse Tsar said...

I think the subject matters too. Inanimate objects are often easier. Animals can be just downright impossible at times.